Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What do we mean by 'thinking'?

Jad and the team at Radiolab have just released a new show, called Words. I talked to them about the role of language in the development of children's thinking. You can listen to the podcast here. And you really should check out the accompanying video as well.

Quite a few things came out of the discussion which I wanted to comment on some more. So I have written a post on my PT blog to explain in more detail how I see things working here. The post is called "What do we mean by 'thinking'?", and you can check it out here.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, the names Dan Kerr. I am reading your book now. Its wonderful. Can i ask you if i am doing the right thing by speaking directly to my 3 year olds toys as if they are conscious agents?
    subjectsofinterest@gmail.com

    Glad to find your blog. More great reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Dan. Glad to hear that you're enjoying the book. It seems natural to me that you are talking to the toys if this is part of a shared pretence.

    ReplyDelete